Russia unleashed a massive overnight rocket strike on Kyiv, killing at least five people, Ukrainian authorities said.
Apartment blocks and warehouses were hit in the assault that occurred on Thursday, according to the State Emergency Service of Ukraine (DSNS). At least 23 individuals were reported injured in the barrage.
Rescue crews are working to pull survivors from the rubble, having already extracted one person from damaged structures.
Kyiv Mayor Vitali Klitschko reported that a children’s hospital sustained damage, with windows blown out and nearby cars set ablaze. He also noted that an administrative centre in the Solomyanskyi district, southwest of the capital, was struck by missiles.
In the Brovary area of the wider Kyiv region, an attack killed one man and wounded another, said Kyiv city official Tymur Tkachenko.
City officials issued an alert earlier in the night urging residents to seek shelter, adding, “Air defence operations are possible in the area.”
Additional rocket warnings continued to be issued throughout the night by local authorities.
Poland’s service announced it would launch preventive aviation operations in response to the Russian strikes on Ukraine.