Fourteen killed in strike on Myanmar monastery
Fourteen people were killed when aerial strikes hit a monastery in Myanmar’s Sagaing region on Friday morning, according to local sources. The attack occurred around 09:00 local time (02:30 GMT) in Myaung township, roughly 70km (47 miles) west of Mandalay.
All of those killed were aged and a number of monks were also injured, a rescue worker told BBC Burmese, adding that the site was struck twice. Civilians had gathered at the monastery for a meditation retreat to observe Buddhist Lent. Myanmar’s military has not issued any comment on the incident.
Nway Oo Myaung, a pro‑democracy rebel, informed AFP that the dead comprised 11 men and three women. Five of the victims came from one village, while the remaining nine were from a neighbouring township.
""Older radical had entered the meditation centres," Myaung added, saying the dormant were aged betwixt 50 and 70."
A second, unnamed rebel fighter said he had been among those searching for survivors. ""While we were trying