Red Bull Racing driver Max Verstappen (1) races during the Formula One Las Vegas Grand Prix Saturday, Nov. 22, 2025. Photo by: Steve Marcus
By Grace Da Rocha (contact)
Tuesday, May 19, 2026 | 9:32 p.m.
The Clark County Commission on Tuesday unanimously approved a resolution extending the Las Vegas Grand Prix’s presence on the Strip through 2037.
The 10-year extension keeps the Grand Prix locked into its annual November slot — the week before Thanksgiving — with race organizers committing to smoother event setup and teardown processes as part of the deal.
Commissioners pointed to the race’s economic impact on the region as a driving force behind the decision to extend their partnership.
The race’s popularity is reflected in the numbers. Last year, a record 1.5 million American television viewers tuned in — a 68% surge over 2024’s figures, according to ESPN.
The economic returns have been equally impressive.
Race officials reported the 2024 event generated approximately $934 million, cementing it as the largest recurring event in Las Vegas and outpacing every other F1 race held in North America.
Attendance reached 306,000, with 175,000 unique out-of-town visitors spending an average of $2,400 per visit — nearly double what a typical Las Vegas visitor spends.
That influx of fans contributed to a combined $284 million in worker wages tied to race operations, visitor spending and related jobs, race officials have said. The event also generated $45 million in taxes.
The event hasn’t come without its share of growing pains.
When the Grand Prix debuted in 2023, the nine months of roadwork required to prepare the 3.8-mile circuit drew sharp criticism from tourists and locals.
The construction caused hours-long traffic backups throughout the resort corridor, making it particularly grueling for hospitality workers trying to reach their jobs.
Local businesses along the corridor also felt the strain.
Several owners previously told the Sun that they lost customers and revenue due to the roadwork and a temporary vehicular bridge installed at East Flamingo Road and Koval Lane — forcing some to cut employee hours or reduce their own wages just to keep the lights on.
A number of those businesses eventually filed suit against the race. Those lawsuits have since been either settled or partially dismissed.
While many of those early stumbles were addressed, residents and officials maintain that there is still room for improvement — particularly when it comes to how long it takes to install and dismantle track elements.
Organizers made notable strides on that front last year, shortening the overall construction timeline compared to 2024. Track barrier installation was reduced by two weeks, and the two-lane vehicular bridge — which took 10 days to build in 2023 — was completed in just five days.
The full 11-week project kicked off on Sept. 8, 2025, and crews wrapped up dismantling operations by Christmas.
County Manager Kevin Schiller noted race officials approached the county with a commitment to improve their installation and removal process. Those improvements would include track lighting foundations, an underground conduit for better communications and the installation of permanent gates for improved traffic flow on roads, Schiller said.
“I support this, but it’s got to come with very clear parameters that the purpose of more time is to condense the timeline,” Commissioner Michael Naft said said. “I think there are clear things that have been demonstrated through the work that you and your office have done in conjunction with the organizers that set a path for a condensed timeline and condensed disruption, and it’s gonna be really important that the county make sure that we continue to stay on that point.”
This year’s race is for Nov. 19-21.






English (US)·